Basics of Photography Workshop - Bangalore
Basics of Photography Workshop
11 and 12 October 2014
"Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real." - Ansel Adams
The role of photography as a rewarding hobby is quite obvious. But we believe it can be more than that.
It can add a spark to a mundane life by opening up your creative side. When nurtured with care, it can become an eloquent language of self-expression. It can compel us to explore and look around more carefully. It can lead us to discover not only the world but also ourselves in the process. It can make us more human.
But what you need to fulfill this vast array of possibilities is mastery of your tools, an understanding of light and a grip on the fundamentals. You need a sound foundation on which to build a lofty monument of work. And that is what this Workshop provides.
If you're a neophyte-shutterbug foxed by technical jargon; if you've just got a camera and want to fully exploit its creative possibilities; if you've been using a camera for some time and are not satisfied with the kind of pictures you're taking; if you want to leave the auto mode behind, unleash your imagination and make images that outlast you, the Basics of Photography Workshop is for you.
Delving into both the art and the science of photography from the grassroots, this Workshop will demystify the subject completely and help you make the camera an extension of your body and mind, so matters of exposure, focusing and metering don't come in your way when you wish to translate your glorious vision to an unforgettable picture.
Dedicated to achieving all this is our illustrious team of professional photographers who are not only passionate about the art, but also about teaching it! Employing highly simplified content, a friendly delivery style and plenty of practical exercises, they ensure you leave the Workshop well-trained, transformed and empowered to wield the camera like a wand.
Specifically, these are some of the things you'll be able to do after the Workshop:
- Choose appropriate tools for your intended genre of photography
- Use the apt exposure program mode for any situation
- Make technically sound as well as aesthetically pleasing images
- Avoid getting blurry pictures in low light
- Use different techniques to achieve unusual and striking results
WHAT YOU WILL TAKE BACK
- Clarity on camera equipment, settings and usage
- A sound understanding of the art and science of photography
- Personal attention of a professional photographer
- Plenty of practical exercises within the classroom
- Structed topics suited to all skill levels
- Free reference material after the Workshop
- Post-Workshop support and advice
- Benefit from the experience of mentoring over 6000 enthusiasts
- A certificate of participation
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET
- Your DSLR camera and kit lens or a prosumer point-and-shoot camera
- A fully charged camera battery and a memory card with sufficient space for a day's shooting
- Your camera manual, if available
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Anybody over 16, interested in mastering their camera and the basics of digital photography
1. DSLR Camera users will benefit the most from the Workshop. Compact and prosumer digital camera users can attend too but may not be able to try some concepts discussed, particularly in the area of autofocus. If you don't have a DSLR, you may consider hiring one for the Workshop at a nominal additional fee in order to ensure you can relate to all the topics. Please talk to us for more information.
2. If you're below 16, please consider joining one of our seasonal Photography Workshops for Kids, announced here.
- Date: 11 and 12 October 2014
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Venue: Toehold Seminar Hall, Jayanagar 4th 'T' Block, Bangalore
Lunch and tea included on both days.
ABOUT THE MENTOR
An uncompromising reverence for nature and an unfailing eye for unique perspectives underline Sachin's journey as an ace naturalist and eminent wildlife photographer with over a decade's experience in excellence. Famous for his special love for amphibians and tigers, Sachin is a veritable treasure chest of natural-history knowledge and photographic expertise, and his quick wit and infectious passion make for riotous company!
Sachin has been documenting many of the less-known and little-noticed aspects of the wild and constantly perseveres to share his experiences with citizens and scientists, especially through his photography website which is an enriching resource for budding wildlife enthusiasts and naturalists. An active supporter of many conservation NGOs, Sachin invests a lot of his time in their outreach activities and has led several expeditions in search of rare species, even rediscovering a 'lost' species of frog 73 years after its first sighting and description. For his stellar work in photography, Sachin has been honoured with prestigious accolades, including the Photographer of the Year award by Sanctuary Asia in 2008 and the first prize at the DJ Memorial Photo Contest in 2013.
Sachin's work may be enjoyed on his website at www.landofthewild.com, and regular updates of his latest work can be found on his Facebook Page.
Read more about Sachin here.
This Workshop does NOT assume any prior knowledge of photography or DSLR usage, and is suited to a wide range of learners starting from complete beginners or brand-new DSLR owners. The following is a broad outline of the exhaustive topics covered in impressive detail.
- Photography Basics
- Introduction to digital photography
- Camera formats
- Megapixels, resolution and print size
- Choosing a camera and essential features of a DSLR
- Advantages and disadvantages of digital photography
- Understanding your camera
- Focal length and magnification - 'x' factor
- Different types of lenses
- Teleconverters and other accessories
- Shutter speed
- Exposure program modes
- Exposure compensation
- AE/AF lock
- Manual exposure
- Automatic versus manual focus
- Nikon and Canon focus systems
- Focus area modes
- Focus behaviour modes
- Autofocus points
- Depth of Field
- Slideshow of Photographs
- The Thought Process of Good Photography
- Conveying Stories
- Special Traits of a Photographer
- Rules and Exceptions
- Image Stabilization
- White Balance
- Using Filters in Digital Photography
- Tips and Tricks
- Best Practices
- Review and Feedback
- Questions and Answers
TESTIMONIALS BY PREVIOUS WORKSHOP PARTICIPANTS
It was my pleasure to attend your session. Finally I got an opportunity to attend though I have been planning for more than an year. Though it was just 2 days, I am sure that I earned more knowledge in these 2 days than I did myself from 15 months of time since I purchased my D-SLR.
- Rakesh Seetharam, Bangalore
It was a wonderful workshop and worth attending as I'd taken leave from my medical/laboratory duties.
I've been in Delhi for the last two years, and I can honestly say that this was the most awesome weekend I ever had.
- Dharaa Shah, Delhi
To be frank I was never so interested in any of the class as I was for this, You're a great teacher, teaching is a skill and you've mastered it.
As I have told you I have done a workshop prior to this at Canon Pro Workshop and not very satisfied though being a big canon fan. This was the workshop you absolutely nailed the concepts on my head. I am happy that I could learn something for which my heart beats(Photography) in a very effective way possible.
- Prem R, Bangalore
First of all I would like to thank you once again for the effort you put in over the two days and helping us to understand the basics. It was a truly great experience for each of us. I will surely recommend this to a few of my friends who I am sure will love to be a part of this program.
- Siddhartha Adhikari, Delhi
I must congratulate and thank you and Toehold for such a wonderful workshop. I wish i had attended it earlier and not struggled using my DSLR almost like a film camera! I found all the sessions very useful and relevant. I particularly enjoyed the sessions on metering and photo aesthetics ( Your father's Chakravarthy photo just jolted me out of the seat - both for its visual and story-titling appeal. It left a lasting impression...I think of it everyday)
- Smitha Kalyani, Bangalore
The two-day program was fantastic and an eye-opener for me, especially because I thought I knew everything just because I had researched the internet. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and tips and tricks. I look forward to joining one of the Photography Tours organized by Toehold soon.
- Jayaprakash Bojan, Bangalore
It was very well organized in terms of course content. All of us enjoyed and learnt a lot. You conducted in such a manner that all participants were able to interact with you and also with each other. It was a learning process, we not only learnt the theory but also the practice of photography. We are also thankful to you for reviewing our photographs and providing guidance to improve.
- N.C. Sud, Mumbai
- Thank you so much for sharing the knowledge on photography, It was a wonderful session and helped in gaining lot of knowledge which would help in the photography skills. I look forward for the new journey. It was a truely professional session.
- Kotresh Kogundi, Bangalore
- Thank you for your work during the recent workshop. It was a valuable experience for me. Photography has always been an interest developed through my travels. I've never bothered to learn a few basics so most things have been through trial and error.
Thanks again for your efforts and hopefully we can cross paths again at another time
- Martin Gleeson, Mumbai
- I wanted to thank you for invigorating my interest in photography as a serious hobby, more so because of the way you meticulously explained all the technical angles in such a simple manner, that all our doubts got vaporized. May be there's still time for me to buy an SLR, since i want to exploit all options possible on this bridge-camera while learning the techniques and in process the handicaps of a point-and-shoot, but promise that i'll keep sending you my work for critical reviews. I also wished to re-call my casually chosen words describing this course as "basic" one, since what i actually assumed looking at people similar to me carrying point-and-shoot, trying to learn what camera to choose, as one of the most foundation step to learning photography. But towards the end of the workshop, i was able to realize, how smartly you trained us on the concepts ranging from most basic to advanced levels, offcourse closing the session with what was required for us to qualify to next level and yet not overload.
- Gaurav Singh, Bangalore
- I must say that not only my expectations were met in the workshop but were exceeded by 1000%. It was fun filled and extensive learning. I enjoyed the whole experience. The workshop is very well engineered, from the venue to the content & delivery.
- Veeresh P M, Bangalore
Thank you for a well-planned and organized workshop. The content was carefully organized and the pace, just fine to keep us all interested all the time. For me, this was a weekend well spent :) . As I mentioned at the beginning of the workshop, I had some amount of knowledge about some of the things like aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Most of these were self-taught and picked up from my friends. I had thought that this is what would make up most of what forms the "basics" of photography. The topics of metering, focusing, exposure were a real eye-opener. Also, I could set right, some of my misconceptions about shooting in manual mode all the time. After looking at the processing of RAW photos, I am happy to say that I'm switching from shooting JPEGs to shooting RAW photos, right from today. In fact, the photos I shot during the experiments done today are all RAW and I'm sitting and processing them on GIMP now :)
- Srinivasa S, Bangalore
Firstly many thanks to you for the informative workshop and for sharing your technical and artistic skill with us. The workshop has changed the way i look at photographs. I've actually started to appreciate them better than before and you have rekindled my interest in photography. The workshop was well planned & appropriately conducted & has made our foundation stronger. I also met a lot of amazing people during the course of the workshop.
- Captain Sanjeev, Indian Navy
At the outset, I thank you for coming up with this magnificient platform for amteur photographers like me. Reading loads of material never helped me. I really liked the lucid/easy to follow style, practicle demonstartions by you and the fact that maximum emphasis was laid on the basics which lay the foundation for improving skills.
- Indranil Dutta, Mumbai
I too enjoyed this weekend a lot and have learnt many new things about photography as a whole! It is wonderful to see the photos you have shot and to learn from them. I really value your opinions on the type of camera to buy and the shots that I had taken. Thanks so much for the wonderfully interactive, knowledgeable and fun session you had provided.
- Lakshmi Nair, Bangalore
Absolutely loved doing the workshop, thanks to Toehold Photography and our mentor who made learning effortless and enjoyable. A very well
planned workshop for beginners and I highly recommend the workshop to anyone who simply wants to take better photographs and make optimum use of all the features of their equipment. The workshop was inspiring, informative, well structured and best of all it was a lot of fun. The workshop taught me so much about shooting and the digital SLR, it doesn't seem like a complicated tool anymore! The workshop has given us beginners a foundation for creating good photographs. It surely was a great learning experience and i learnt a lot of new things right from camera techniques to composition ideas and most importantly to love your own shots no matter what the world has to say about it! Be it an experienced photographer or a newbie, this workshop will give you an amazing new insight into how to exhibit and improve your vision and your photography
- Pratiksha Avhad, Mumbai
INR 6,200 per person
Includes lunch, tea and applicable taxes. Payment options will be shared upon enquiry.
In the unfortunate event that you wish to cancel your booking after the payment, you will receive a credit note that can be used to avail of any of our services listed on our website, for:
a) 100% of the amount if you cancel on or before the last Monday before the Workshop,
b) 50% of the amount if you cancel between the last Monday and Thursday before the Workshop.
No credit note will be issued for cancelling after the last Thursday before the Workshop or for failing to attend the Workshop without prior intimation, and no cash refunds will be made under any circumstances.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- I am a complete beginner in photography. Is this Workshop recommended for me?
Absolutely! This Workshop does not assume any pre-existing knowledge of photography and is suitable for learners of all skill levels. If you are a complete beginner, you should sign up for the Workshop right away, as we're sure you'll find it really helpful!
- I don't own a DSLR and have only a compact digital camera. Will this Workshop still be useful for me?
Yes. The fundamental concepts of digital photography are common to DSLR and compact digital cameras, so it will still be useful, and you'll be able to try a majority of the discussed concepts practically if your compact camera has manual controls. However, in order to make the most out of the Workshop, we recommend you hire a DSLR from us for the two days. Please talk to us for details.
- How do I register for the Workshop?
You can register for the Workshop by clicking on the �REGISTER NOW!� tab and filling out the registration form, or calling us on 080-22442211, or emailing us at email@example.com.
How do I pay the Workshop fee?
We have multiple payment options including online transfer, from which you may choose one as per your convenience. Details will be shared when we receive your enquiry.
What should I get to the Workshop?
Please bring your camera and kit lens, a fully charged battery, a memory card with suffient space for a day's photography, and your camera manual.
I have paid for the Workshop but cannot attend. Can I get a refund?
If you cannot attend the Workshop after paying for it, let us know before the last Monday before the Workshop and we�ll give you a credit note for 100% of the amount, which can be used to avail of any of our services. If you let us know after the Monday but before the Thursday ahead of the Workshop, we�ll issue a credit note worth 50% of the amount. Unfortunately, if you let us know after the Thursday before the Workshop or do not inform us at all, we cannot issue a credit note, nor can we make cash refunds under any circumstances.