Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tips for choosing a ball head

I always advocate using good camera gear for long term benefits on the field. Using a classy Ball Head is what I discuss in this video.

Cheers, Jayanth Sharma Wildlife Photographer & CEO, Toehold +91.98861.56700

Hello Jayanth,

All these years I have been doing handheld photography and only a few times I must say I would have tried taking pictures on a tripod. But now that I have upgraded my gear, especially after buying a beast lens like Nikon 200-500mm vr telephoto lens, it is a bit difficult to go handheld. I am into birds mostly , and I felt in many occasions that this lens although is fast and sharp, does require a sturdy support for a better picture.

So, I did my research and narrowed down to some of the camera support options. But, what am totally unsure is if I can use a better quality monopod instead of a tripod?

Am not sure whether you'd allow naming brands in this forum. But I'll take my chance and name the one which am thinking of buying. It is a Sirui P-424SR Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod. Perhaps you could enlighten me if this serves well in the field where am looking for birds or mammals? Also, does this really need a ball head or can I go with no ball head.

Thanks,

Trogontales.

Trogontales,
I think the decision of a monopod vs tripod depends on various considerations. If you are in to bord photography with a 200-500, a Monopod is great to have. I would suggest you use it with a ball head.

I am a big fan of using tripods. It's heavy and clumsy but if you end up tolerating it, it will never disappoint you. Btw that monopood Sirui P-424SR Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod is great. Go ahead.

Cheers, Jayanth Sharma Wildlife Photographer & CEO, Toehold +91.98861.56700

Great. Thanks for the feedback. I will stick to monopod with a good ball head from the same brand.