If diamonds are the only things that sparkle in your mind’s eye when you hear Panna, you might want to know that the priceless piercing gaze of a tiger is also an experience that this part of central India can offer. Panna Tiger Reserve, tucked to the Vindhyan hills, brims with a vast array of mammals and birds. Its dry deciduous forest is also embellished by beautiful waterfalls.
This protected, precious land is where you need to be if you wish natural, archeological and historical splendours to come together and cast a magical spell on you.
- A five-night/six-day Tour with six safaris to one of India’s best tiger destinations
- A chance to see a leopard in what is perhaps the best place in Central India to see this secretive cat
- Likely opportunities to see various other mammals and birds in Panna’s pristine wilderness
- A wealth of natural history learning from the Skipper
- Immense insight into wildlife behaviour
The Panna Tiger Reserve, is a prime dwelling for the striped big cat in Madhya Pradesh. It is the most significant protected forest area in the north-central highlands of the country where the western and the eastern populations of several mammals, birds, reptiles and an array of flora are connected through the verdant Vindhyan hill ranges.
River Ken, the lifeline of Panna Tiger Reserve also grants enchanting vistas. This is also where human history, culture and archeological richness can be witnessed. Make your meeting with the feline beauties a memorable one for always.
While the forests of Panna are home to the mystical beauty of the tiger, it also nurtures the lives of leopards, hyaenas, wild dogs, caracals, rusty spotted cats and other small cats. While the sloth bear can be seen in languor in the pristineness of the jungles, nilgai, chital, sambar and chousingha also dot the greenness with their lovely, contrasting colours.
Gharials, muggers, and a lot of snakes also dwell in Panna, while more than 200 species of avian wonders also grant the possibility of witnessing their beauty to a bird-lover. To name a few, if fortune favours you, you can see the white-necked stork, the bar-headed goose, the honey buzzard, the king vulture, the blossom-headed parakeet, the paradise flycatcher and the slaty-headed scimitar-babbler.
Panna is your next holiday destination if you wish the natural world to enchant your studious senses.
We depart from Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus to Jabalpur at 01:30 pm hrs by the 12188 Jabalpur Garib Rath Express (in the 3AC coaches).
We arrive in Jabalpur by 06:00 am. We have our breakfast and proceed to Panna by private AC vehicles (a journey of about 240 kms, about 6 hours). We reach our resort in Panna by 01:30 pm, checkin, have a delicious lunch and take some rest. We set out on our first evening jeep safari to see our luck in sighting the wild beings. We return to the lodge after the safari, dine together before retiring to our rooms for a good night’s sleep.
We explore the beauty of Panna on our morning and evening jeep safaris. Since our morning safari runs until 11:00 a.m., we carry packed breakfast. Lunch and dinner will be at the lodge. Overnight in Panna.
We do our final morning jeep safari, return to our lodge and check out after lunch. We travel to Jabalpur by private AC vehicles and reach Jabalpur by 06:30 pm. We leave for Mumbai by the 12187 Mumbai Garib Rath Express (in 3AC coaches) and begin our overnight train travel by 07:30 pm.
We arrive in Mumbai CST by 12:15 pm and head to our hometowns with all the memories of Panna and all the creatures of wild it is home to.
- Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
- Services of a Toehold Skipper for a great wildlife experience
- Mumbai – Jabalpur – Mumbai travel by train (in 3AC coaches)
- Jabalpur – Panna – Jabalpur travel by private AC vehicles
- Stay on twin-sharing basis with all meals
- Six jeep safari (six people in a jeep) and one boat-ride fees
- Entry and guide fees
What’s Not Included?
- Any airfare
- Telephone calls, laundry, room service, tips, porter service etc
- Additional mineral/bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages, personal expenses of any kind
- Tips to drivers and lodge staff
- Additional charges incurred due to a change in the schedule, due to reasons beyond the control of the organisers
- Insurance of any kind
- Medical expenses, if incurred
- Any other charges/costs not mentioned in the ‘Inclusions’ list
- At least INR 15,000 booking amount
- Remainder to be paid 45 or more days before the departure date
All figures per person.
- 20% of the Tour fee 45 or more days before the Tour
- 40% of the Tour fee between 44 and 31 days before the Tour
- 80% of the Tour fee between 30 and 16 days before the Tour
- 100% of the Tour fee on or after 15 days before the Tour
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Who should participate in this Tour?
Anybody with an interest in wildlife and over the age of 18 (unless accompanied by an adult) is welcome to participate.
How different are your Group Tours from ordinary tours?
Unlike travel agents who plan your holiday from a remote destination to places they sometimes haven’t experienced themselves, our Group Tours offer a comprehensive toehold to experience a place through the guidance of an experienced naturalist. The common ingredients in all our Group Tours are fun and a lot of learning and knowledge sharing. Besides, most or all of our Tour participants are nature lovers, which keeps the group in harmony and helps make your experience focussed.
How sure are you about sighting wildlife on this Tour?
Considering the meticulous attention to timing we pay while scheduling Tours and the local expertise we leverage, we believe that it would be extremely unfortunate if our sightings were unsatisfactory. However, since we will be in an uncontrolled environment, we do not claim that sightings are guaranteed.
What equipment do you suggest on this Tour if I want to make photographs?
Considering the nature of the subjects and shooting conditions expected on this Tour, a lens with a focal length of at least 400mm is considered necessary, with longer focal lengths being welcome. A beanbag is strongly recommended to shoot both from inside the vehicle as well as outside.
What do I do if I do not have the requisite equipment?
If you do not have appropriate equipment, there is no need to fret. Toehold offers an exhaustive array of cameras and lenses for hire, so you can always hire what you need. Click here to see what we offer. What’s better, you enjoy a 10% discount on all equipment hired on our Toehold Outdoors Group Tours!