Land of Sher Khan
If Mowgli, Bagheera, Raksha, Baloo have become integral parts of your life, if the pages of The Jungle Book have inspired you to love and be protective of a love the natural world makes us capable of, visiting Pench will be that much more a memorable experience for you, for the iconic book is known to have been its inspiration. This National Park in Madhya Pradesh is home to rich flora and fauna, including the striped and the spotted big cats.
- A three-night/four-day Tour with six safaris to the land that inspired The Jungle Book
- Possible sightings of several other mammals and birds in Pench’s mysterious depths
- Immense natural history learning from the Skipper
- Valuable insight into wildlife behaviour
Deriving its name from the River Pench that divides the park into eastern and western halves, the Pench National Park comprises the core Indira Priyadarshini Pench National Park area and the Mowgli Pench Sanctuary.
The forest cover includes teak and other tree-species such as saja, bijiayasal, haldu and salai. The forest floor wears nuanced greens in its grasses, bushes, plants and saplings. Small hills rise from the ground of the protected area in the park.
Welcome to the world of real Sher Khans. Pench nurtures the lives of many a tiger. The leopard also lives in its precious depths, and then there is the sloth bear, the wild dog, the Indian wolf, jungle cat, monkey, chital, jackal, wild boar, sambar, nilgai, gaur, barking deer among several others mammals. Many reptiles and amphibians also reside in Pench.
The avian-life array of over 210 species includes crimson-breasted barbet, Northern pintail and Northern shoveler notably, besides the ubiquitous Indian peafowl, Indian roller, red-vented bulbul, common kingfisher, red jungle-fowl, racket-tailed drongo, and egrets, herons, robins, coucals, minivets, munias, wagtails and lesser whistling-teals.
We arrive in Nagpur and leave for Pench at 09:30 am by private AC vehicle. It is a two-and-a-half hour journey, covering a distance of about 110 km. We have our breakfast en route and reach Pench by 12:30 pm. We check-in to our lodge, have lunch and rest before our first evening jeep safari in the National Park. We return after witnessing the beauty of the wild Pench, treat ourselves to delicious dinner and leave for our rooms for a good night’s sleep.
We do the morning and evening jeep safaris, hoping to see as many animals and birds as we can in the National Park. All meals are arranged for us at our lodge.
We leave for the National Park for our last morning safari. Once we return, we have our breakfast and get ready for checkout after lunch, by 02:00 pm. We travel to Nagpur by a private AC vehicle, and reach by 05:00 pm with a lot of memories that Pench will leave us with.
- Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
- Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
- Services of a Toehold Skipper for a great wildlife experience
- Nagpur – Pench – Nagpur travel by a private AC vehicle
- Stay on twin-sharing basis with all meals
- Six jeep safari (six people in a jeep)
- Entry and guide fees
What’s Not Included?
- GST (5%)
- Any airfare
- Telephone calls, laundry, room service, tips, porter service etc
- Additional mineral/bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages, personal expenses of any kind
- Tips to drivers and lodge staff
- Additional charges incurred due to a change in the schedule, due to reasons beyond the control of the organisers
- Insurance of any kind
- Medical expenses, if incurred
- Any other charges/costs not mentioned in the ‘Inclusions’ list
- At least INR 15,000 booking amount
- Remainder to be paid 45 or more days before the departure date
All figures per person.
- 20% of the Tour fee 45 or more days before the Tour
- 40% of the Tour fee between 44 and 31 days before the Tour
- 80% of the Tour fee between 30 and 16 days before the Tour
- 100% of the Tour fee on or after 15 days before the Tour
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Who should participate in this Tour?
Anybody with an interest in wildlife and over the age of 18 (unless accompanied by an adult) is welcome to participate.
How different are your Group Tours from ordinary tours?
Unlike travel agents who plan your holiday from a remote destination to places they sometimes haven’t experienced themselves, our Group Tours offer a comprehensive toehold to experience a place through the guidance of an experienced naturalist. The common ingredients in all our Group Tours are fun and a lot of learning and knowledge sharing. Besides, most or all of our Tour participants are nature lovers, which keeps the group in harmony and helps make your experience focussed.
How sure are you about sighting wildlife on this Tour?
Considering the meticulous attention to timing we pay while scheduling Tours and the local expertise we leverage, we believe that it would be extremely unfortunate if our sightings were unsatisfactory. However, since we will be in an uncontrolled environment, we do not claim that sightings are guaranteed.
What equipment do you suggest on this Tour if I want to make photographs?
Considering the nature of the subjects and shooting conditions expected on this Tour, a lens with a focal length of at least 400mm is considered necessary, with longer focal lengths being welcome. A beanbag is strongly recommended to shoot both from inside the vehicle as well as outside.
What do I do if I do not have the requisite equipment?
If you do not have appropriate equipment, there is no need to fret. Toehold offers an exhaustive array of cameras and lenses for hire, so you can always hire what you need. Click here to see what we offer. What’s better, you enjoy a 10% discount on all equipment hired on our Toehold Outdoors Group Tours!