- Seven nights and eight days of mystical winter landscape experience under dancing Northern Lights
- Limited group size to ensure exclusivity and unrestricted photography
- An epic photography experience on a wonderful and isolated island in the frozen north
- Extensive learning on using filters, making time-lapse videos, HDR photography and processing, and panoramic shooting
- An exotic time in a truly untamed wilderness and amazing part of our planet
- A productive Tour guided by experienced professional photographers
How is it?
With over 80% of Iceland's area reeling in joyous desertion, experience pristine seclusion amid a convergence of elements in all their untamed colours held together with lots of ice and a little fire.
What you will see and photograph?
National parks, mythical worlds, ridges, glaciers, lowlands and wildlife are all there. That is, even without counting the Northern Lights!
About your Skipper
With a flair for eclectic photography-genres ranging from portraiture to architecture and fine-art to landscapes, young Rajiv Shyamsundar uses the camera as a palette of myriad hues.
Please note: We assemble for this Tour on Monday, 26 February 2018 at Reykjavik, Iceland, and depart from the same place on 5 March. Travel between your home and Reykjavik is not included in the Tour fee, but all requisite assistance with air travel will be provided.
Participants in Reykjavik arrive from various places, and once everyone has checked in to our hotel, we meet before dinner for a round of introduction and orientation, where Skipper will set the tone for the Tour and brief the group on what to expect over days to come. We dine and retire for the night in hot anticipation of the icy-cool time to come.
Our exploration of Iceland will start with the Snæfellsjökull Glacier and the charming villages and friendly people who nest around it. This day we enjoy the nature and the wildlife the area offers, and photograph the exceptional lava fields and formations, and fill our eyes and memory cards with its gorgeous gorges and waterfalls, lovely towns and harbours.
We will, on this day, traverse the spectacular route from the Peninsula to the South Coast, treating our eyes to and photographing such sublime sights as will amiably confront our senses along the way.
We'll spend the next day on the South Coast of Iceland, from Reykjavík to the Vík, a charming village. We'll discover the island's volcanic activities while passing by some of the island's active volcanoes, and behold their most recent eruptions. Along the way we enjoy the sight of the black-pebble beach of Reynisfjara and the basalt sea stacks Reynisdrangar. Dyrhólaey, Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss and Sólheimasandur and its notorious plane wreck are amongst our stops.
We'll visit the magical and romantic Jökulsárlón, a large glacial lake on Iceland's southeast coast, close to the beautiful Skaftafell and the Vatnajökull National Parks, and witness the floating of the icebergs from the Vatnajokull glacier to the lagoon.
We'll also visit an icecave underneath Vatnajökull (ice caves form under the glaciers in the autumn and last through the winter), venturing in with helmets, head-torches and crampons underneath our boots. Caves can be found in several different locations on the south side of glacier Vatnajökull, and the surroundings are magical.
In the evening we're dropped off to the airport hotel, Keflavik.
After breakfast we check out and are transferred to the airport, whence, having enjoyed an enchanting time on the exotic island of Iceland, we fly back home.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who should participate in this Tour? Are there any eligibility criteria? Anybody interested in Arctic or general wildlife and/or wildlife, landscape or bird photography and is above the age of 18 (unless accompanied by an adult) can participate in this Tour. There are no eligibility criteria.
- I am a newbie in nature photography. Am I eligible? Absolutely! This Tour is meant for fledgling as well as experienced photographers. Beginners get all the advantages of learning on and off the field from Toehold's eminent Skippers. In fact, if you are a newbie, you should jump on this terrific learning opportunity and sign up right away! However, in order to make the most of the Tour, we recommend that you be familiar with at least the basics of photography. Please talk to us for more details.
- I am not into photography. Would you still recommend this Tour? Most certainly! While photographers will probably derive maximum value from this Tour, non-photographers will enjoy the expedition equally.
- How cold will it be? The weather is variable, but the average hovers between –10 and – 20°C. There will be considerable wind chill.
- What fitness level is required? Although this is not a very physically intensive Tour, some basic amount of physical fitness is required, chiefly to withstand the cold, undertake short and easy to moderate walks and treks. If you suffer from known illnesses, please consult your physician before signing up for the Tour.
- By what mode will photography be done on this Tour? We'll be using vehicles to get to the places of attraction, but most or all of the photography will be done on foot.
- Will you provide visa assistance? Yes. You need a valid Schengen visa to enter Island, and while the Tour cost does not include visa expenses, all the assistance you require in procuring a visa will be duly provided.
- How sure are you about this Tour being photographically productive? Considering the meticulous attention to timing we pay while scheduling Tours and the local expertise we leverage, we believe that it would be extremely unfortunate if our photography were unsatisfactory. However, since we will be in an uncontrolled environment and are visiting in the winter, we do not claim that the conditions will always be conducive to photography.
- What equipment do you suggest on this Tour? The focus of this Tour is on landscape photography, so a good ultra-wide-angle lens and a wide-angle zoom are musts along with graduated neutral-density, neutral density or variable neutral density, and circular polarising filters, a fisheye lens being welcome, too. For the occasional portrait and to photograph the horses, a 50mm or equivalent normal lens would be desirable. A tripod is absolutely necessary, and so is an intervalometer if your camera doesn't feature in-built interval shooting, or just a wireless or cabled remote release otherwise, for bulb photography.
- I do not own appropriate equipment. What do I do? If you do not own adequate photography gear, there is no need to fret. Toehold offers an exhaustive array of cameras and lenses for hire, so you can always hire what you need. Click here to see what we offer. What's better, you enjoy a 10% discount on all equipment hired on our Photo Tours!
- How different are your Photo Tours from ordinary tours? Unlike travel agents who plan your holiday from a remote destination to places they sometimes haven't experienced themselves, Toehold Photo Tours offer a comprehensive toehold to experience a place through the guidance of a professional photographer. The common ingredients in all our Photo Tours are fun and a lot of learning and knowledge sharing. Besides, most or all of our Tour participants are photography enthusiasts, which keeps the group in harmony and helps make your experience focussed.
* 5% GST Extra
† Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
†† Per Couple on Twin Share Accommodation
- Boarding and lodging for Tour duration
- All local fees
- All planned activities and excursions as per the itinerary
- Services of a Photography Skipper
- All airfare and transfer expenses
- Any extra accommodation availed of outside the itinerary, before or after the Tour
- Visa expenses
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours, extra meals and beverages ordered
- Insurance, laundry and phone calls
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Tips and gratuities
- Anything that is not included in the inclusions list
- All applicable taxes
- USD 1000 booking amount (non-refundable)
- USD 2000 before 15 November 2017
- 100% of the Tour fee before 15 December 2017
- USD 1000 on or before 31 October 2017
- USD 3000 between 1 November and 15 December 2017
- 100% of the Tour fee after 16 December 2017
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants who have a medical history of blood pressure, heart-related problems or asthma are advised to seek medical advice before enrolling for this Tour.
- Fitness to complete the Tour is the only criterion for participation.
- Toehold Travel & Photography Pvt Ltd. shall not be responsible for injuries, damages, or losses caused to any traveller in connection with terrorist activities, social or labour unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climatic conditions, abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside the travel partner's control.
- All clients travelling with Toehold Travel & Photography Pvt Ltd. must complete and sign a reservation form and the " Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Arbitration Agreement" form.