- A one-night/two-day intensive workshop focussed on the secrets of outstanding nature images
- Two special boat rides and photography on land in Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- Expert guidance from a Skipper on specific photography issues
- Indoor discussions and presentations on natural history and photography
How is it?
Giants in a giant landscape.
What you will see and photograph?
About your Skipper
His reverence for creatures of the forests marked the beginning of young Harsha Narasimhamurthy’s journeys to National Parks in South India, followed by his devotion to document his experiences as photographs.
Workshop participants gather at 10:30 a.m at the lodge and after a brief rest, we gather for an introductory presentation.
Lunch will be followed by an interactive session on some key bird photography issues, before we travel to Ranganathittu for a field session. We enjoy a boat ride during which we seek to put some of the concepts we learned at the introductory session into practice, and hopefully enjoy a productive time with assistance from the mentor.
Upon our return we gather for a session we call ChitraTantra, where we review images and share feedback, followed by dinner and shuteye.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What exactly is the Nature Photography Masterclass? How different is it from a classroom workshop? Toehold's Nature Photography Masterclass is an advanced nature-photography workshop designed to help you master a specific genre or style of nature photography, such as bird photography. These workshops are held outdoors to enable you to try concepts firsthand in real situations and are mentored by professional photographers with years of experience in that genre. There will also be indoor sessions where concepts will be discussed and images will be reviewed.
- Who should participate in this Masterclass? Are there any eligibility criteria? Anybody interested in birds, wildlife and/or photography and is above the age of 18 (unless accompanied by an adult) can participate in this Masterclass. In order to benefit from this advanced workshop, knowledge of the basics of photography is necessary. If you are new to photography, we suggest you attend our Art and Science of Photography Workshop first to be able to understand and try the concepts discussed during the Photography Masterclass.
- I am a newbie in nature photography. Am I eligible? Absolutely! This Tour is meant for fledgling as well as experienced photographers. Beginners get all the advantages of learning on and off the field from Toehold's eminent Skippers. In fact if you are a newbie, you should jump on this terrific learning opportunity and sign up right away!
- Why aren't onward and return journeys included in the Tour itinerary? Since some participants have their own cars, in which they like to drive to the venue, we cannot include the travel cost in the fee. However, we provide all requisite assistance with onward and return logistics at extra actual cost to ensure your transit is smooth.
- By what mode will photography be done on this Tour? Much of the photography will be done from a boat, although we may have a few opportunities to photograph on foot as well. Participants have to travel to the sanctuary from the resort on their own or in shared cars.
- How sure are you about photographing birds on this Tour? Considering the meticulous attention to timing we pay while scheduling Tours and Workshops and the local expertise we leverage, we believe that it would be extremely unfortunate if our sightings and photography were unsatisfactory. However, since we will be in an uncontrolled environment, we do not claim that sightings of specific species are guaranteed.
- How different are your Photo Tours from ordinary tours? Unlike travel agents who plan your holiday from a remote destination to places they sometimes haven't experienced themselves, Photo Tours offer a comprehensive toehold to experience a place through the guidance of a professional photographer. The common ingredients in all our Workshops are fun and a lot of learning and knowledge sharing. Besides, most or all of our Tour participants are photography enthusiasts, which keeps the group in harmony and helps make your experience focussed.
- What equipment do you suggest on this Workshop? Considering the nature of the subjects and shooting conditions expected on this Tour, a telephoto lens with a focal length of around 400mm is considered sufficient, with longer focal lengths being welcome. A wide-angle lens is recommended for scenic photographs and creative perspectives when opportunities emerge. A tripod or a monopod is not ideal strictly required, as hand-holding works best on the boat, but you may bring one along for the limited amount of land-based photography we may do.
- I do not have requisite equipment. What do I do? If you do not have appropriate equipment, there is no need to fret. Toehold offers an exhaustive array of cameras and lenses for hire, so you can always hire what you need. Click here to see what we offer. What's better, you can enjoy a 10% discount on all equipment hired on our Photography Masterclasses!
* 5% GST Extra
† Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
†† Per Couple on Twin Share Accommodation
- Twin-sharing accommodation in comfortable rooms unless single occupancy purchased at extra cost
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and hot beverages (coffee and tea) for Workshop duration
- All boat rides and entry fees
- Travel between your home and Ranganathittu, including airfare and transfers
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours, and extra meals ordered
- Insurance, laundry and phone calls
- Bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Camera fees and vehicle parking fare
- Tips and gratuities
- Anything that is not included in the Inclusions list
- All applicable taxes
- 100% advance on confirmation of participation for the Workshop.
- 25% within 22 days before the Tour
- 50% between 21 and 15 days before the Tour
- 100% within 14 days before the Tour
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants who have a medical history of blood pressure, heart-related problems or asthma are advised to seek medical advice before enrolling for this Tour.
- Fitness to complete the Tour is the only criterion for participation.
- Toehold Travel & Photography Pvt Ltd. shall not be responsible for injuries, damages, or losses caused to any traveller in connection with terrorist activities, social or labour unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climatic conditions, abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside the travel partner's control.
- All clients travelling with Toehold Travel & Photography Pvt Ltd. must complete and sign a reservation form and the " Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Arbitration Agreement" form.