India, a land whose soil is spiritually fragrant, has always nurtured different faiths that propel different people on their sacred quests. The Kumbh Mela is a holy event held once every six years, and with the magnificent promise of an eternal life – free of all sins.
Here, join us to photograph an event that attracts people from all over the country brimming with that ultimate, eternal hope of being liberated from the cycle of life and death.
- A 3-night/4-day exclusive experience making pictures of one of the biggest congregations of people in India
- A soul-enriching exploration and photographic journey during the world-famous spiritual event
- A productively satisfying time enjoying travel photography
- Extensive photography learning under the guidance of accomplished experts
- A wide spectrum of stunning events and experiences worth cherishing for always
The Kumbh Mela is a congregation of millions of people from different parts of the country, gathered together to pray and take the ritual bath in the holy waters of the Triveni Sangam – the confluence of the great mighty rivers Ganga, Yamuna and the mythical Sarasvati. Its purpose is a ritual known to free the seeker from the earthly cycle of life and death and so move towards a realm of bliss where no pain or suffering exists.
As crowded as the event gets, it is that rare, exquisite energy that makes such gatherings special and even moving to simply be a part of. While the chanting throbs in the air, the din of the heart and soul finds solace because in places such as this, there lies a silence at the epicentre of all the mingled sounds.ty
When you are a part of a swarm of spiritual seekers, the opportunities to chronicle stories that unravel right before your eyes are virtually endless. Triveni Sangam, where the holy waters of Ganga, Yamuna and the legendary Sarasvati rivers meet, the congregation on the banks of this confluence will render themselves into some stunning frames for the keen-eyed photographer.
The number of people is massive, and so is the opportunity to make people portraits. When they are deep in devotion, there is a specificity to human emotion at the Kumbh Mela, which can tell its own story through the form of portraiture.
And when the world is safe under the blue blanket of the evening sky, the glow of the lamps brings beauty to the Kumbh Mela in golds and ochres and ambers. And the changing colour of the river, then too, can entice your camera lens to prepare itself for a glorious narrative.
Please note: The Tour begins and ends at Allahabad. Participants may choose to reach Allahabad by either air or road depending on their preference, but transport between your home and our hotel in Allahabad is NOT included in the Tour itinerary or cost. However, all required assistance will be duly provided.
7 February 2019, Thursday
Upon arrival, participants are checked into the lodge. After lunch that day, there will be a briefing session on the city, camera settings and the Tour agenda by the Skipper. In the evening, we will set out for our first evening photography session at the Kumbh Mela.
8 and 9 February, Friday and Saturday
These two days, we spend mornings and evenings at the Kumbh Mela, exploring newer, more innovative ways of making pictures, to find stillness amidst vibrant chaos. These will be interspersed with highly insightful sessions on photography by the Skipper. The evening sessions will be followed by a delicious dinner, before we retire for the night with dreams of vibrance.
10 February, Sunday
There will be a photography session at the Kumbh Mela in the morning, followed by an image review session. We will check out in the afternoon and return home with great storytelling photos.
- Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
- Per Couple on Twin Share Accommodation
- Per Person on Twin Share Accommodation
- Twin-sharing accommodation in luxury tents
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and hot beverages (coffee and tea)
- Permits and photography fees
What’s Not Included?
- All airfare
- Transfer expenses between your home and Allahabad
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours, extra meals and beverages ordered
- Insurance, laundry and phone calls
- Bottled water and soft drinks
- Alcoholic drinks
- All applicable taxes
- Anything that is not included in the inclusions list
- At least 25% of the Tour fee as the booking amount (non-refundable)
- 50% of the Tour fee by 14 November 2018
- Remainder by 1 December 2018
- 25% of the Tour fee on or before 15 November 2018
- 50% of the Tour fee between 16 November and 9 December 2018
- 100% of the Tour fee on or after 10 December 2018
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
While Toehold Photo Travel is one of our most popular offerings, we work as a travel agency without bringing the photography guide element in to your travel. In short you would be using our travel experts service to just plan the vacation and execute it.
- Unlike a Photo Travel experience, your Vacation is completely personalised.
- The dates, style of travel, class of hotels and lodges, destinations, everything is tailor-made to suit your custom requirement.
- A Skipper or a photography guide doesn’t travel with you to guide you unless you decide to take our customised and guided photo travel experience.
So take advantage of the immense experience and field knowledge that we bring in to your Vacation’s planning without having to pay for our time and costs. Plus, we don’t charge an additional fee for our time and travel planning services.
What are the requisites to participate in this Tour?
Apart from interest in travel, a minimum level of fitness is essential. If you’re unsure of your fitness or suffer from a known illness, please consult your physician before signing up for this Tour.
Why is fitness required for this Tour?
A minimum level of fitness is essential as we explore Allahabad on foot.
Who can be a part of this Tour?
Any individual above the age of 18 (unless accompanied by a parent or guardian) who has the requisite fitness to complete the Tour can participate.
I'm a newbie in travel photography. Am I eligible?
Absolutely! This Tour is meant for fledgling as well as experienced photographers. Beginners get all the advantages of learning on and off the field from Toehold’s eminent Skippers. In fact if you are a newbie, you should jump on this terrific learning opportunity sign up for an Art and Science of Photography Workshop right away!
What equipment do you suggest on this Tour?
A good wide-angle or ultra-wide-angle lens is a must (10mm to 18mm on crop sensor, or 14mm to 28mm on full frame). A short or medium fixed telephoto or zoom lens will help you make ‘compressed landscape’ images, abstracts and candid people or street photography (70mm to 200mm). You may also bring along a portrait lens, such as a 50mm, 35mm or 85mm lens, to make high-quality portraiture. A full-frame (35mm) camera with compatible wide-angle and fisheye lenses will allow you to make the most of the opportunities. If you do not have appropriate equipment, there is no need to fret. Toehold offers an exhaustive array of cameras and lenses for hire, so you can always hire what you need. Visit our Rental Store to see what we offer.
How different are your Photo Tours from ordinary tours?
Unlike travel agents who plan your holiday from a remote destination to places they sometimes haven’t experienced themselves, Photo Tours offer a comprehensive toehold to experience a place through the guidance of a professional photographer. The common ingredients in all our Photo Tours are fun and a lot of learning and knowledge-sharing. Besides, most or all of our Tour participants are photography enthusiasts, which keeps the group in harmony and helps make your experience focussed.